Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Farinelli, 'Castrati"

To start off, I had no idea that it was even possible to castrate young males to preserve there vocals. Weird. I did some research and I learned that it destined his skull into malformation. I also learned that in 2006, Farinelli's body was disinterred to have his skeleton studied. He was diagnosed with hyperostosis frontalis interna and he had an exceeding amount of oestrogen. I guess overall, it was worth it. However, this was mutilation. If Farinelli had a choice, I am not sure whether or not he would have agreed to his change, but I believe it was cruel. Although, if he had not been castrated, he would have never lived the life he did. His voice has clearly made an impact, especially being courted by Spanish queen Elisabetta Farnese! Pretty crazy. I listened to some of Farinelli's music and honestly, it's not my favorite choice of music style, but I appreciated it. I looked up what some of the lyrics meant and I was very moved. He sung about his hope for his freedom and trying to get rid of the bad memories he could not forget about. His music was very meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment