Saturday, November 12, 2011

Outrageous Modern And Contemporary Art: A Prime, 'Scandalous Art'

I find these artworks very interesting and almost shocking. I am fascinated by the imagery portrayed through these works. The toilet bowl is a very interesting piece, Duchamp didn't do much with the piece except put the toilet bowl in a museum of art and claimed it a piece of art. A piece that surprised me, shocked me, and gave me the chills was 'the physical impossibility of death in the mind of someone living.' However the main part of 'the physical impossibility of death in the mind of someone living,' was the shark piece. It was a little creepy that he preserved the shark and I researched that the shark began deteriorating in the liquid. Also, they had gutted the shark to make it look more fake, however, realistic through the concept. The intentions of the piece are very conflicting and even today it is being contemplated. The most scandalous piece of work was Tracey Emin's 'Everyone I Have Ever Slept With." She hadn't sexually slept with all of these people, but it was a very controversial piece. She had displayed 102 names of the people she slept with and it caused a lot of conversation and dissension. After looking through these pieces of artwork, I developed a question that can be applied to the works; "Is it the intention of the piece artist are trying to portray or the actual images displayed?"

No comments:

Post a Comment